Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Let's just DO Pinterest

So I declared this week "must get off Pinterest and just DO Pinterest"... starting in the kitchen. I really do enjoy cooking and experimenting with new recipes, but it is not a passion of mine and I can be easily swayed into eating out or just opening a can of soup. But Pinterest has made me think I really can fry up that bacon in a pan so I decided that I WILL save money by cooking more often and I WILL have a great dinner on the table for my husband and I WILL enjoy it.

As luck would have it, this came just as my neighbor offered me a slew (how much is a slew, really?) of fresh picked but over ripe pears. So, off to pinterest I went in search of a recipe for pear something or other.... about 5 recipes later that sounded just okay, I ended up creating my own recipe for Gingered Pear Honey.

Let me say, it is FABULOUS tasting. So much I wanted to go buy a ham just to slather it on, but I settled for some deli slices. Oh. My. Word. And look how PRETTY it is!!



So, for my first real post on my blog, I will impress you with my cooking skills with an original recipe:

Julie's Crockpot Gingered Pear Honey

2 dozen fresh picked tiny pears peeled and cored
1 small can crushed pineapple
5-6 squares of candied Ginger (I love this stuff -- like candy to me!)
3 c. Sugar
Dump it all in crockpot and stir until just mixed. Put on low overnight (6-8 hours). Turn off and let cool so you don't burn the crap out of yourself and blend in a blender or with a hand blender to thin consistency. Pour into sterilized jars and keep in refrigerator or if you have a canner, go for it.


Tomorrow I may show you more of my skills...and just how horrible my kitchen looks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment